Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth | Page 15 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth

Today really illustrated how much we need to improve next season. I thought we were totally outplayed by a Portsmouth team that made 6 changes from their last game and still had a system that was far more efficient and effective than ours. Yes, their timewasting was awful to watch - but if we had have done it winning 1-0, we would be applauding it.

We couldn't get near the ball the first 25 minutes. Even though Portsmouth didn't do a lot with it, starving us of possession killed the advantage a sell-out crowd might have given us.

Our midfield injuries and lack of depth in that midfiekd area finally came back to bite us, as many thought it would eventually. However it doesn't take anything away from the incredible job Skoobs, Shaw and Cohen have done. They will learn (and they made mistakes today with their substitutions) and, with the backing of JG and the board, they will come back stronger in August.

Personally I can't wait!
What was the mistakes with the substitutions?

I would like him to fail badly next season after that show today.

I didn't like the way they managed the game today, but credit to Mousinho. He has done an excellent job changing the way they play after the Cowleys.

Considering the number of players he put on the pitch today, and the ones he left out of the squad, they all looked very comfortable on the ball, with no sign of a Cowley style at all.

Not denigrating the Cowleys as they have their own style, but credit to Mousinho for taking over that squad and getting them to play is a totally different (and effective) way.

What was the mistakes with the substitutions?

Threw caution to the wind a bit too early in my opinion. We were looking dangerous before we took off a defender at 56 minutes and switching to four at the back.

We still looked as though we might snatch a goal after that though. However it was withdrawing Mitchell at 79 minutes at 0-0 that killed it and left us wide open to concede two goals.

At that stage a 0-0 might have got us through if Exeter has equalised.

Hindsight of course though, but I just didn't think the substitutions worked today at all. I accept however that it was a very unique game and a very unique situation after the penalty miss.

The subs, along with Portsmouth's antics, totally disrupted us. I'll accept we were knocked back a bit by the penalty miss as well.

Might be a blessing in disguise. As much as I am desperate to see us in the second tier, we as a club are just not ready for that step.
Taking away the shithousery, Portsmouth controlled the game so much better than us today. Whenever they were on the ball, they had options and seemed to be able to,get in position to win the second balls. Plenty of missed chances to put the game to bed before our inevitable going all out allowed them their two goals.
Don’t get me wrong, we created some excellent openings that on another day May have been put away, and but for Danny’s slip, we may well have taken all the points. It’s just that for me, we are still lacking that little bit extra in terms of composure, ball retention and accuaracy.
Next season, we start with full on Skubala, and hopefully a fully fit squad whatever that may be.
It’s been a thoroughly enjoyable ride these last couple of months and I just hope we can keep the core of this side. Roll on next season 👊💥👏

Just got back, so only read a few posts. I went out with the feeling we were in a win win situation - we could get in the play offs, and if not we could be satisfied with a great second half to the season. However, driving home I felt quite flat, and I think that was because our lads gave it such a really good go. Missing the pen and couple of other good chances made it feel that we really could do it, but I said to my brother that as long as the Oxford score stayed as it was, it would become a case of shit or bust, and so it turned out. I do wonder whether nerves came into it as the game progressed. Don't lets kid ourselves - Portsmouth are a good footballing side. But neither should we assume that we will replicate the latter half of this season when we go again.

But no way will I fault our lads' efforts today, and it's a great time to be an Imp

Threw caution to the wind a bit too early in my opinion. We were looking dangerous before we took off a defender at 56 minutes and switching to four at the back.

We still looked as though we might snatch a goal after that though. However it was withdrawing Mitchell at 79 minutes at 0-0 that killed it and left us wide open to concede two goals.

At that stage a 0-0 might have got us through if Exeter has equalised.

Hindsight of course though, but I just didn't think the substitutions worked today at all. I accept however that it was a very unique game and a very unique situation after the penalty miss.
Thinking about this, I totally disagree. Yes, Exeter were a goal away from putting us through while it stayed 0-0 but relying on that would have been questionable at best. If Skoobs had been more cautious in his substitutions in the hope that Exeter equalised and played out the draw which didn't transpire, he'd have been slaughtered on here and I don't think that Kennedy-esque approach is in his mindset.

Skoobs played the hand available to him, but oh for a Bishop at that point. Yes, it didn't work, against the beat team in the league who were intent on sucking the life out of the game and hit us on the break (1st as a result of a foul on Walker?) but credit Skoobs for giving it a go to get the win we always realistically needed.

Put faith in what you can attempt to influence, not what you have no control over. Skoobs was right to try it.

Thinking about this, I totally disagree. Yes, Exeter were a goal away from putting us through while it stayed 0-0 but relying on that would have been questionable at best. If Skoobs had been more cautious in his substitutions in the hope that Exeter equalised and played out the draw which didn't transpire, he'd have been slaughtered on here and I don't think that Kennedy-esque approach is in his mindset.

Skoobs played the hand available to him, but oh for a Bishop at that point. Yes, it didn't work, against the beat team in the league who were intent on sucking the life out of the game and hit us on the break (1st as a result of a foul on Walker?) but credit Skoobs for giving it a go to get the win we always realistically needed.

Put faith in what you can attempt to influence, not what you have no control over. Skoobs was right to try it.
I agree with you totally. MS had to have a go. You can look at so many managers who have followed a similar pattern. If we had been 1-0 after the penalty chance would we have put more defenders on ?

Might be a blessing in disguise. As much as I am desperate to see us in the second tier, we as a club are just not ready for that step.
Taking away the shithousery, Portsmouth controlled the game so much better than us today. Whenever they were on the ball, they had options and seemed to be able to,get in position to win the second balls. Plenty of missed chances to put the game to bed before our inevitable going all out allowed them their two goals.
Don’t get me wrong, we created some excellent openings that on another day May have been put away, and but for Danny’s slip, we may well have taken all the points. It’s just that for me, we are still lacking that little bit extra in terms of composure, ball retention and accuaracy.
Next season, we start with full on Skubala, and hopefully a fully fit squad whatever that may be.
It’s been a thoroughly enjoyable ride these last couple of months and I just hope we can keep the core of this side. Roll on next season 👊💥👏
I feel exactly the same it is a big step from League 1 to Championship and I agree no way are we ready yet.

Some good additions in the summer and we can have a full 46 game run at promotion rather than the 20 game run this season.

Injuries to our creative and attacking players has bitten us at the start and end of the season. To get within a penalty kick of the play offs in the final game has exceeded expectations and is a fantastic effort on the part of the players and staff.

Tremendous application, and I'm disappointed for everybody working at the club whose graft has not quite got them over the line. As fans we have been able to sit back and watch a right royal go from them all. Thanks for the ride and making it last as long as it did.

Good luck to those that move on to pastures new, and get rested up, refreshed and raring to go for the players that remain.

Screenshot-20240427-210058-Instagram.jpg

Will Norris...... what a bellend! Is there some sort of history im not aware of? What on earth was he thinking taunting the Rilmac like that, ive never seen the Rilmac so incensed. Nothing at all at stake for Pompey today,nothing for him to get excited about, just very mild banter from a few individuals. Two lads got ejected (not condoning their behavior and not critical of stewards doing their job) but all totally avoidable and unneccesary and caused by Norris. If he'd done that in front of the West Bank it could easily have turned out much worse.

The "gamesmanship " from Portsmouth today was off the charts. All teams guilty of it. Its normalisation within the game disgusting and frankly boring. It's a stain on the game. Managers and players should be ashamed of this nonsense. So many faked injuries. And then officials not taking action. Its poor and I don't know how the game reverses it.
Today Portsmouth showed they are a good team and could beat us with good football. They did but added this unsportsmanlike behaviour for about an hour just because they can. Maybe we would have done the same 1-0 up. But I don't like it one bit.
The media and ex players don't call it out and actually condone it. Calling it experience or clever. That's bullshit. Needs to stop somehow. There just doesn't seem the desire to stop it.

Today really illustrated how much we need to improve next season. I thought we were totally outplayed by a Portsmouth team that made 6 changes from their last game and still had a system that was far more efficient and effective than ours. Yes, their timewasting was awful to watch - but if we had have done it winning 1-0, we would be applauding it.

We couldn't get near the ball the first 25 minutes. Even though Portsmouth didn't do a lot with it, starving us of possession killed the advantage a sell-out crowd might have given us.

Our midfield injuries and lack of depth in that midfiekd area finally came back to bite us, as many thought it would eventually. However it doesn't take anything away from the incredible job Skoobs, Shaw and Cohen have done. They will learn (and they made mistakes today with their substitutions) and, with the backing of JG and the board, they will come back stronger in August.

Personally I can't wait!
Don’t agree that we were totally outplayed.
First 30 minutes yes, but after that we had the better chances until the game opened up

Just watched Hull v Ipswich how refreshing to watch 2 teams going hammer and tongues to win and it ended 3-3 without the stupid nonsense from Pompey today- left a nasty taste in what could have been a really good contest and celebrated L1 at its best - Pompey management could have stopped this but their behaviour looked somewhat suspect too uti